Covid Care Package
October 12, 2020
by Sandy Grupe Huber, Principal
Our employees are truly special people.
When California’s lockdown order went into effect, Grupe Huber was classified as an essential service — which meant that while some of our office workers could remain at home, many of our employees would be risking their health to continue the vital projects that would move our local economy forward.
Even though it was frightening, and even though California was one of the first states affected by this terrible pandemic, Grupe Huber’s employees faced the challenge with grace and good humor. We all quickly pivoted to the new normal of restrictions, social distancing, and tape on the floor! … We even managed to wrap up important milestones, like moving into our new Spruce headquarters at University Park.
Kevin and I marveled at their can-do spirit and were moved by their willingness to assist each other and our community. Because of their hard work and the efforts of our management team, we did not lay off a single person because of COVID-19 — a true blessing at a time when the numbers of California’s unemployed people spiked to 4.8 million, with 75,000 losses in the construction industry alone.
We’ll never be able to convey the depth of our admiration for our employees. But in June, we certainly tried! We distributed beautifully wrapped care packages to each one of Grupe Huber’s employees that month. In the spirit of paying it forward, we specifically chose certain items that would also benefit our tenants and local businesses.
Each basket included:
- A beautifully laminated copy of the company’s core values in English and Spanish, using our new brand colors and style to remind them of who Grupe Huber is.
- A white ceramic mug, custom printed with our Grupe Huber logo
- Starbucks Coffee beans from the store in the Marina Shopping Center
- A sugar stir stick for their coffee
- Hershey’s Almond Kisses – with wrappers that conveniently match our gracious gold logo brand color
- Gift cards to Octavio’s in the Marina Shopping Center and the Olive Garden in the Quail Lakes Shopping Center to enjoy a stress free meal
- A Quality of Peace card, highlighting one of the 60 qualities included in University Park’s International World Peace Rose Garden
It felt so good to share this tangible reminder of our admiration for our employees and to create a small bright spot for them. Grupe Huber continues to thrive thanks to their dedication, thoughtfulness, and service to our communities.